Shannon Smitherman’s practice is devoted to estate planning, business transactions, and civil litigation. Shannon has extensive experience in matters of contract negotiation, formation of corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies, probate and trust administration, and drafting of wills and trusts. Shannon’s litigation experience includes first chair, second chair and lead appellate counsel in cases involving contract disputes, business torts, professional malpractice, commercial and residential property loss, products liability, and oil & gas disputes.
He has frequently been retained as lead counsel for insurance companies in coverage litigation and cases involving first-party contractual and extra-contractual claims, as well as counsel for policyholders in large-loss and multi-party litigation.
Shannon graduated from Texas Tech University School of Law in May of 1989 and was admitted to practice as a member of the State Bar of Texas later that same year. He is admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas and the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas.
Shannon is a member of the Probate & Estate Planning Section of the Dallas Bar Association and a member of the Insurance Law and Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Sections of the State Bar of Texas. Shannon is also a Fellow of the Dallas Bar Foundation. Shannon has been rated as AV® Preeminent for the highest level of professional excellence by Martindale-Hubbell® peer reviews.
Community Activities & Personal
Shannon is married to his law school sweetheart, Tanya Tyer Smitherman, who is also a practicing attorney in Dallas. Shannon and Tanya have four children and an Australian Shepherd. Shannon is an active member of St. Andrew United Methodist Church, where he has served in various capacities. Shannon is a founding member and serves on the Board of Directors of Oasis International Missions, Inc., a nonprofit corporation that supports international Christian ministries.
- • State Bar of Texas, 1989
- • United States District Courts:
- • Northern District of Texas
- • Southern District of Texas
- • Eastern District of Texas
- • Western District of Texas
- • Eastern District of Arkansas
- • Western District of Arkansas
- • State Bar of Texas
- • Dallas Bar Association
- • Probate and Estate Planning Section
- • Fellows of the Dallas Bar Foundation
- • Estate Planning, Trust and Estate Administration, Probate
- • Guardianship, Asset Protection
- • General Business, including contracts, organization and litigation
- • First-party contract and bad faith litigation
- • Insurance coverage litigation
- • Property and casualty litigation